Reasons Why Brown People Get Arrested
1. The tulips died.
2. Saturn lost her rings.
3. Something about driving // or moving at all.
4. We crossed the border.
5. [On the land you stole].
6. God is poor, trans, & being evicted.
7. When you go to church // I call it gentrification.
8. The moon was hole-punched sky.
9. Shooting stars on Myrtle Ave.
10. [She drowned in white tears].
11. When I crumple a note it beats, like a heart, in my hands.
12. What is an impound lot?
13. If not a place to crush memory.
14. He was running down the block.
15. & you expected to see police following.
16. [Can’t a brown boy exercise in peace]?
17. I’m always running.
18. I’m always running.
19. I’m always running.
20. She drank from the wrong fountain.
21. She spat [loogies] the size of mangos.
22. Her hair choked the sink.
23. The light bulbs burst out in pain.
24. The wind whipped his back.
25. A shout punctured the sky.
26. [I only write about pain].
27. But sometimes // this world is so gorgeous
28. & I want to live forever.
29. I read the etymology of arrest.
30. Arrest (v.) — from Old French arester "to stay, to stop."
31. When he kissed me, I was arrested.
32. [My heart in handcuffs].
33. Pockets searched for contraband.
34. HANDS ON THE HOOD // OF THE CAR !!
36. You know what he wanted to call you.
37. Brown as the dirt.
38. Brown as the bark.
39. [White is the color of nothingness].
40. Blank white stare.
41. Blank white face.
42. Blank white apology.
43. I see nothing in you.